St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church: About Our Parish


The first service of the St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Mission was held in April 1905. In December of that year, a lot, no. 331 Hawthorne Street was obtained for the purpose of erecting a church building.

Although the building was intended, initially, to contain two floors, only the basement level was completed and that space served as the place of worship for over eighty years of the church’s existence. Until improved finances afforded the erection of the edifice they envisioned, the fledging congregation constructed the basement, erected a roof over it and “finished off the interior” to serve as worship space snugly fitting two hundred congregants.

The structure we are now worshiping in was constructed in 1991. Through the diligence and hard work of the clergy and the people, in 2016 an additional wing was added housing the conference room and Rector’s office.

As the congregation of the early twentieth century, the congregation of today is, in large part, made up of immigrants and first-generation Americans. Unlike the earlier congregants who came, in the main, from Europe, those now attending are from the Caribbean, Central and South America, Africa, and the United States.

You may also like

Leave a comment